"Showing Their Scales" and "The Hockey Farmer"

We are pleased to introduce the works of local B.C. authors KP Wee and Farhan Devji to you:

"Showing Their Scales" contains three tales of lies, lust, and deception. These are short novels which deal with betrayal and revenge, with three main male characters and how they end up hurting the women in their lives.
**Catch an episode of BlogTalkRadio
here with KP's interview on his books, recorded Dec 29, 2008.**

"The Hockey Farmer" is a story about Logan Watt, who hails from Cochrane, Alberta, and has to decide whether to rehabilitate the legendary family farm or pursue an unlikely career in professional hockey. The story also shifts to Vancouver and contains numerous Vancouver Canucks references.

Help support a pair of B.C. authors by picking up your own copies today!
-- "The Hockey Farmer" can be purchased
here,
while "Showing Their Scales" can be bought
here. --

The Hockey Farmer / Showing Their Scales

The Hockey Farmer / Showing Their Scales

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Next up: TEYC?

I was pulled aside by Steve for a quick meeting earlier today, and was briefed about a few things:

Seems as though one person will be laid off next week, and of course, it's not me, since I am high on the depth chart (hahaha). The reality is that the student numbers will be the same for the next semester, and ordinarily, that would mean everyone (ie. staff) gets to stay. However, Giles has been on vacation for a month, so in fact, that would mean when he does come back (at the start of the new semester), there will be one extra teacher.

Thus, I was asked if I could teach TEYC, something I've never done before. I was told that James and I were the two candidates for this, and if neither of us could, then "Teacher E" would have to be retained to teach it, while the popular Kyle would be gone (since he was the last person hired). I was asked to think about it, see whether or not I would want to teach TEYC, and not try and "save" someone's job, in this case, Kyle's. (If Kyle's job was saved, then "Teacher E" would be the one out of one.)

Here's the thing though: Even if I do try and "save" Kyle, it's not like it will be recognized. It's like one of these hush-hush internal matters, so it's like it stays within the few of us and doesn't get out to everyone. So, even if I try to be the 'good guy' here, so to speak, no one will know or care. Whatever.

I was told that James was briefed on this earlier (before I was ever told about this) and had apparently said he wouldn't mind, though he wasn't all pumped up for it. I'd told myself repeatedly, learn to say no, learn to think about myself and not whatever is convenient for everyone else (because sometimes it ends up with me doing more work). However, with the fact that one of the candidates (James) had already consented, I wasn't about to reject the idea. And of course, it's all about the competitive nature in me; if James could do it, obviously I could do it too, and likely better.

So, I could be the person teaching TEYC. Who knows... Well, the decision will be made in a day or two, so it's up to the decision-makers now. To use one of my sports quotes, two quarterbacks vying for the one job on a team with no defense... Who's going to win the job?

No comments:

Brief Resume Highlights

Writing Experience
- Bleacher Report: contribute articles on the Vancouver Canucks, Boston sports, hockey, and baseball at least three times a week (2007-Present); edit sports-related articles from other posters (2008-Present)
- UCL: developed Career Planning curriculum (2007); consulted on for other curricula issues (2005-Present)
- Consumer Research: submitted unsolicited proposals for improvements on company operations (2005)
- B.U.D. College: developed Grammar curriculum consisting of five levels (2004); edited curricula for other courses (2004)
- KGIC: developed Career Planning curriculum proposal for Surrey campus (2004)
Writing Accomplishments
- Named Bleacher Report Bruins Community Leader (2008)