"Showing Their Scales" and "The Hockey Farmer"

We are pleased to introduce the works of local B.C. authors KP Wee and Farhan Devji to you:

"Showing Their Scales" contains three tales of lies, lust, and deception. These are short novels which deal with betrayal and revenge, with three main male characters and how they end up hurting the women in their lives.
**Catch an episode of BlogTalkRadio
here with KP's interview on his books, recorded Dec 29, 2008.**

"The Hockey Farmer" is a story about Logan Watt, who hails from Cochrane, Alberta, and has to decide whether to rehabilitate the legendary family farm or pursue an unlikely career in professional hockey. The story also shifts to Vancouver and contains numerous Vancouver Canucks references.

Help support a pair of B.C. authors by picking up your own copies today!
-- "The Hockey Farmer" can be purchased
here,
while "Showing Their Scales" can be bought
here. --

The Hockey Farmer / Showing Their Scales

The Hockey Farmer / Showing Their Scales

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

First Non-Sports Related Blog here

This site is called "OA2", not "KP's Sports Blog" for a reason. It is meant to have discussions about anything, over anything. Obviously I am the only poster on here, but that's fine.

The topic du jour is about work.

Today we had that "staff meeting" in which Steve had said that we could iron out the issues I brought up with Grace, the school's owner. Hey, who knows, Steve said, perhaps others shared the same thoughts I did too.

But predictably, nothing really came out of this meeting.

See, for over a year, the staff room has been filled with filthy language such as name-calling and racist "jokes". I had avoided the room because I did not want any part of it. Worse, Steve, the director, was part of it. While he did not endorse it, he also didn't discourage it either.

So, during the cold months, I had no choice but to return there to hang out.

And Andrew Claxton was the worse culprit. Andrew called one of my students "Frankinstein" behind his back and took pleasure in the fact that that student was not cool. Of course, Steve let that slide for days.

Andrew was the one who started this "Wizard" comment behind Toby's back when he (Toby) was working here and even after he left. And everyone participated in that nonsense. And Andrew was the one who called people "midgets" and dissed pregnant women/women with children waiting for buses.

And surprisingly, Steve let that all slide.

Then there was the fact that Andrew--according to James--started this "letter" with the rest of the staff to try and start a movement with Grace. The fact that Andrew and his cohorts are way overpaid seemed to have been lost on all of them.

I had to basically sit down with Grace and point out every reason that they were overpaid. And yes, my numbers are right on because I know what's going on. And yet there they were, trying to get more...despite the fact that the school wasn't in good shape to begin with.

I even countered their "letter" with my own letter to Grace, outlining the facts from above. And also I caught Andrew telling a new teacher that he doesn't bother marking tests and just makes (blah blah) out of the paper.

And I communicated this to Steve before, and his response was typical. That "Wizard" comment was supposedly a rallying point, a good bonding thing because they were all united in their feelings towards Toby.

And on Tuesday, after I ripped Andrew for using the word "Frankenstein" yet again, Steve got me to go into a room for a private meeting. Apparently, I had "to watch what (I) say" because it was not appropriate. The funny thing is--and I use the word "funny" in a sarcastic way--since when was "Frankenstein" appropriate? "Wizard"?

Funny how that works.

So naturally in today's meeting, Cathryn pointed out that there shouldn't be loud radio being played (me), and I countered that I do this to block out the comments that Andrew and Co. make.

No surprise, but Andrew did not once say a word as I outlined my beef. Not a word of acknowledgement that he won't do it again. Nothing. He didn't retract from his statements. No surprise there.

So, basically I was not allowed to play my radio again unless I put on earphones.

Typical.

And one other thing out of Tuesday's private meeting with Steve brought out the fact that he did not appreciate my going to Grace with my concerns. See, the thing is, if he didn't want that, why didn't he deal with it in the first place?

It's obvious that if he was a part of the problem, then wouldn't it be natural to seek a third party?

"Watch what (I) say" - that is so laughable.

Did not appreciate me going to Grace. And yet, when I did a proposal for school activities--on my own volition, without anyone asking me to--and tried to get Steve to read it, his reaction was just show it to Grace. Brilliant.

And don't forget, Cathryn and two others were the ones dissing management after BC Day. They didn't know that BC Day was a stat and when we were paid for it, there they were snickering at how dumb management was, and "let's not tell them (that we were overpaid)". Classy.

1 comment:

grossmobile said...

Careful kp, you could be accused of insubordination here.

Brief Resume Highlights

Writing Experience
- Bleacher Report: contribute articles on the Vancouver Canucks, Boston sports, hockey, and baseball at least three times a week (2007-Present); edit sports-related articles from other posters (2008-Present)
- UCL: developed Career Planning curriculum (2007); consulted on for other curricula issues (2005-Present)
- Consumer Research: submitted unsolicited proposals for improvements on company operations (2005)
- B.U.D. College: developed Grammar curriculum consisting of five levels (2004); edited curricula for other courses (2004)
- KGIC: developed Career Planning curriculum proposal for Surrey campus (2004)
Writing Accomplishments
- Named Bleacher Report Bruins Community Leader (2008)