"Showing Their Scales" and "The Hockey Farmer"

We are pleased to introduce the works of local B.C. authors KP Wee and Farhan Devji to you:

"Showing Their Scales" contains three tales of lies, lust, and deception. These are short novels which deal with betrayal and revenge, with three main male characters and how they end up hurting the women in their lives.
**Catch an episode of BlogTalkRadio
here with KP's interview on his books, recorded Dec 29, 2008.**

"The Hockey Farmer" is a story about Logan Watt, who hails from Cochrane, Alberta, and has to decide whether to rehabilitate the legendary family farm or pursue an unlikely career in professional hockey. The story also shifts to Vancouver and contains numerous Vancouver Canucks references.

Help support a pair of B.C. authors by picking up your own copies today!
-- "The Hockey Farmer" can be purchased
here,
while "Showing Their Scales" can be bought
here. --

The Hockey Farmer / Showing Their Scales

The Hockey Farmer / Showing Their Scales

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Beware of scammers: a true story of Suzanna Chan, Windermere 1995

A story surfaced this week about more scammers claiming victims on Facebook.

Well, sooner or later, anyone would fall victim to such predators.

I am not one who shys away from speaking my mind and the truth about things I've witnessed, so...

This brings me to a true story of my experience with Suzanna Chan a dozen years ago.

Yes, there are many "Suzanna Chans" out there, so I will clarify by saying this is the one who graduated from Windermere Secondary in East Vancouver back in 1995.

A year after graduation, Suzanna, who knew I was interested in her friend Vicky Lam, approached me to "help" her out.

Young and naive at the time, why would I suspect anything was fishy? I mean, people at that age trusted each other--okay, I guess I was really naive.

Suzanna claimed that she didn't have enough Internet usage time with her university unix email account--because there was supposed to be a maximum 10 hours allowed for home usage with those email accounts--so, she wanted to know if she could use my account instead. You know, double her access time.

She added that she wanted to correspond with some guys via email too, and didn't want to use her own name and account. (And she showed me those emails too--some guy actually sent her a $10 Amazon gift voucher.)

There was some verbal agreement that she would help set me up with her friend, so I thought, hey, why not?

After all, I did not use my university email account that much, and not really thinking about it, agreed.

The other kicker was that Suzanna knew that a friend of mine was interested in her buddy Ann Kwan, and so this way, could perhaps try to test him using my identity.

But, to make a long story short, Suzanna then later borrowed $700 from me, claiming that she had lost some money from bad investments and didn't want her family to know. Even though she came from a well-off family and had lots of other friends, she picked on me--again, fishy but I didn't really catch on to it.

Don't tell anyone, was what she told me. (Anytime someone says that, run.)

And she made comments like she didn't want to be seen with me in public, and she mis-pronounced my name on purpose, every chance she got. (Much like the alleged stories of how Steinbrenner referred to Showalter as "Bucky.")

Next thing you knew, by the due date, she avoided contact with me. When I called her house, there was one time I remembered she hung up on me and other times her little sister or other family members said she wasn't around.

I finally did manage to track her down and told her off, but the damage was done.

It was a while later, when I got a phone call from campus RCMP.

The constable got me in there and accused me of sending harrassing emails--and I immediately suspected who was behind it. I had no proof, but I named both Suzanna and her friend, and told the constable that I had given out my password info to SC, who might have given it to her buddy.

The other thing was, a little time later, I suddenly got blacklisted from Allan Chee and his gang--the group of guys that I had participated in in an online simulation league called the BCHL.

I remember reading a blurb on the Internet about three years ago, about some girl and guy with the same names (ie. SC and AC) living together at an East Van address.

That made some sense to me.

Anyway, I have not contacted any of those people for over 10 years now, and I have no proof who sent out the emails using my account. That part of the story is pure speculation.

But one thing for sure was, I was royally duped by Suzanna Chan. Again, I was young and naive, but it just goes to show, anyone could be tricked.

12 years after the fact, I am not accusing anyone here because I have no evidence. However, again, the truth of the matter was, I was tricked on two occasions, so that's what I am emphasizing here.

Anyone could be scammed.

Hope that it won't be you readers out there.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Brief Resume Highlights

Writing Experience
- Bleacher Report: contribute articles on the Vancouver Canucks, Boston sports, hockey, and baseball at least three times a week (2007-Present); edit sports-related articles from other posters (2008-Present)
- UCL: developed Career Planning curriculum (2007); consulted on for other curricula issues (2005-Present)
- Consumer Research: submitted unsolicited proposals for improvements on company operations (2005)
- B.U.D. College: developed Grammar curriculum consisting of five levels (2004); edited curricula for other courses (2004)
- KGIC: developed Career Planning curriculum proposal for Surrey campus (2004)
Writing Accomplishments
- Named Bleacher Report Bruins Community Leader (2008)