"Showing Their Scales" and "The Hockey Farmer"

We are pleased to introduce the works of local B.C. authors KP Wee and Farhan Devji to you:

"Showing Their Scales" contains three tales of lies, lust, and deception. These are short novels which deal with betrayal and revenge, with three main male characters and how they end up hurting the women in their lives.
**Catch an episode of BlogTalkRadio
here with KP's interview on his books, recorded Dec 29, 2008.**

"The Hockey Farmer" is a story about Logan Watt, who hails from Cochrane, Alberta, and has to decide whether to rehabilitate the legendary family farm or pursue an unlikely career in professional hockey. The story also shifts to Vancouver and contains numerous Vancouver Canucks references.

Help support a pair of B.C. authors by picking up your own copies today!
-- "The Hockey Farmer" can be purchased
here,
while "Showing Their Scales" can be bought
here. --

The Hockey Farmer / Showing Their Scales

The Hockey Farmer / Showing Their Scales

Monday, July 28, 2008

Misadventure at Superstore

So, Monday morning was the school's field trip/business project, and two classes were supposed to meet at Superstore at 9:30 to get started.

Of course, Sunday night I got this email from the other teacher saying he had an emergency and couldn't make it; would I be able to handle both classes on my own?

Well, honestly, what was I going to say in that situation?

Actually, no problem, I could do it anyways. I'm not one who wimps out to begin with.

My class arrived at the meeting place at 9:30, while only half his class was there. Not wanting to waste time, I got started and explained the rules and objectives to my class and asked them to enter the store and begin.

After 10 minutes and the rest of his class still hadn't arrived, I assigned teams and team captains to the students who were there and re-explained everything, and told them to wait for their mates to arrive.

Not a big deal... until later.

Since I divided each class into two groups, there were four groups in total I had to shadow and monitor--double my normal workload.

Actually, it was all fine at the beginning. I was with one group at the toothpaste aisle, and a very friendly stocker chitchatted with some of my students and helped them out by pointing out a sale item. Very pleasant. Genuine.

I took the first group to the cashier's to pay. One problem--well, actually a few.

The cashier was not friendly; no smile, no enthusiasm, and it was only 10:20!!! It's not like it's the end of the shift; the store just opened not too long ago! I mean, c'mon, if you're in customer service and you don't like it, why are you there in the first place?

No, the cashier, who was certainly the anti-toothpaste-aisle-man, wasn't the big problem. The equipment was. I tried to use the pin pad, and the green "OK" button was missing--like a key missing on a keyboard. Whatever, I just pushed that vacated spot and moved on. But when I was to press the "Chequing" button, there were lots of problems.

I kept pressing it and nothing happened. The cashier was impatient, so I explained it didn't work. Thus, I was asked to re-do it. And to no avail. I finally showed the cashier what I was talking about, and was told to wait while the supervisor came to fix their problem.

Yes, yes, I was told that pad was working earlier today. Really though, I was fine with it; I didn't need any excuses.

The next thing I knew, a woman started yelling at my students because they were in the way. Yes, it was their fault they were crowding around and blocking people, but was it necessary to shout like that?

I talked back, and said there was no reason to be that rude, only to get more verbal trashing from her. So the two of us started arguing there on the spot. Was I out of line? Yes. So was she for yelling at my students, and I didn't see why she should get away with it. I do not stand for that kind of intimidation, and I let her know it.

The supervisor came, I got to pay for the bill using another pin pad, and then I had to go back in and check on the other three groups.

So, what lessons did I learn from this? (I take everything as a learning experience; what can I do better in the future?)

Time to get a Costco card... save more money and don't have to deal with all this attitude we were getting. Well, the stocker was great... but the rest of the trip was not.

Mental note to self: do not schedule two classes going at the same time. You never know when someone's going to pull the "emergency" stuff. Yes, I understand, sometimes things happen that you can't control. However, to avoid this from happening, I'm just going to schedule these trips separately.

-------------------
And this is the type of nonsense that goes on. Every week, if not every day, I see people do the following, and they don't get scolded:

* someone would get onto the SkyTrain and just stop inside the door/entrance... despite the fact he/she is the first one to get on at a busy station. There would be others behind waiting to get on too, and this person would just stop there suddenly even though there's room elsewhere on the train. Why not go all the way in and not block the others that are trying to get on?
* someone would press the button on the crosswalk repeatedly trying to get the light to change. (Uhm- note to all: contrary to what you all believe, the light does NOT change because you hit that button a million times!!) I wish the device would automatically reset every time someone hits that button just so he/she would stand there waiting forever. There is absolutely NO reason to continue pressing it... some people.
* someone would walk down the stairs and suddenly stop in the middle for no reason, even though there are people walking behind trying to get down too.
* someone would stand in the middle of the street and block everyone else just so he/she could check something on the phone or blackberry or whatever.
* someone would change lanes without signalling.

And on and on... go pick on them too!

No comments:

Brief Resume Highlights

Writing Experience
- Bleacher Report: contribute articles on the Vancouver Canucks, Boston sports, hockey, and baseball at least three times a week (2007-Present); edit sports-related articles from other posters (2008-Present)
- UCL: developed Career Planning curriculum (2007); consulted on for other curricula issues (2005-Present)
- Consumer Research: submitted unsolicited proposals for improvements on company operations (2005)
- B.U.D. College: developed Grammar curriculum consisting of five levels (2004); edited curricula for other courses (2004)
- KGIC: developed Career Planning curriculum proposal for Surrey campus (2004)
Writing Accomplishments
- Named Bleacher Report Bruins Community Leader (2008)